Pin It! Tried & True Tuesday # 32
Porcelain-Like Leaves and Garland
This Pin It! Tried & True of porcelain-like fall leaves and garland is especially touching this week. The inspiration came from Michelle on Sweet Something Designs where she shared her passion for creating pretty things in interior design, crafting projects, and photography, just to name a few. Her love and eye for beauty was manifested through her creations even as she battled the devastating disease of cancer. At the beginning of this year, sadly she lost her battle. On her last post she quotes Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” May her family be deeply encouraged to know that her creative inspiration is still blessing others to this day.
Here is what I did:
- Followed this tutorial
- I dipped the leaves in the plaster instead of painting it on by totally submerging the leaf, flipping it back and forth from side to side. Then I let the excess drip off back into the plaster mixture before placing on wax paper.
- I used two coats of plaster to fully cover leaves with about 3 hours of drying time between coats.
- This is the plaster I used.
- I allowed my leaves to fully dry for several days before assembling garland.
- I plastered a total of 20 leaves.
- You will want to follow the plaster directions exactly.
- Plaster hardens very quickly. Do as many leaves as you feel you can within 10 minutes or less.
- Make sure you set them on wax paper to dry, otherwise they will stick to other surfaces.
I love the simplicity and pure white of these leaves. They can be used for so many other creations too. I’m thinking…name cards for table settings, tags on wrapped packages, tags on baskets, used in centerpieces, and wreaths. Maybe, I need to make more ;).
Sweet Something Designs has more of Michelle’s inspiration here.