Pint It! Tried and True Tuesday # 26
No Guilt Cinnamon Rolls
In most parts of the country, September brings cooler mornings and what better way to say fall is arriving then a steaming, hot, cinnamon roll? These higher protein cinnamon rolls from Simply Taralynn are a great alternative to the high sugar, high carb, empty calorie, typical cinnamon roll that leaves you with a sugar high headache and hunger by 9 AM. Plus, they are gluten and dairy free. There is no guilt and theses will “stick to your ribs” as my mother used to say. You won’t feel hunger soon after.
Here is what I did:
- Followed this recipe.
- I drizzled (the alternative) pure maple syrup on the inside of the rolls instead of honey.
- Though not in the recipe, I added a few raisins and pecans before rolling them. I know this changed the nutritional value a bit, but I didn’t add much and my family wanted them. 😉
- When rolling, I used wax paper (lightly greased with olive oil) on the bottom and top of the dough. It helps keep it from sticking, as this dough tends to break apart and is different from your typical yeast dough.
- I used a glass pie dish and made mini rolls.
- Because I was making these for the first time, I wasn’t sure about the aftertaste of the protein powder in the icing, so I added less. Next time, I’ll play around with adding more.
- You’ll want to make sure your dough is very chilled and firm as it tends to break apart if too dry or warm.
- If making the mini rolls, lightly grease your knife for cutting them in half.
- Make sure you check on your rolls partway through the baking process. You don’t want to over bake them.
- From start to finish (chilling time included) these take about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Once cooled, store in the refrigerator and reheat as desired.
Enjoy them for breakfast or dessert and welcome Autumn!