Pin It! Tried and True Tuesday # 15
Blackberry Chia Jam
I love all the fresh berries this time of year, don’t you? I picked up some organic blackberries on sale and made this quick, easy, and great tasting Blackberry Chia Jam from The Kitchn. While this isn’t a jam that will store for months, it is so easy, takes only five ingredients, and is made one jar at a time. There is no pectin used because the chia seeds help set the jam and increase the nutritional factor.
Here is what I did:
- Followed the recipe and used a peach as my option instead of a nectarine
- My cooking time was a bit longer (5-7 minutes). It took a little longer to smash the blackberries. I may have been distracted. 🙂
- I added 2 and 1/ 2 – 3 Tbsp honey for sweetness since my peach wasn’t too sweet.
- I used a heaping cup of blackberries.
- Start to finish (not including cooling time), it takes about 12-15 minutes to make.
- I haven’t tried freezing it, but a commenter on The Kitchn said that she froze her jam for 5 days and thawed it in the refrigerator. She found it was better than the first day.
- I cooled mine at room temperature, then placed in a jar, and chilled well. It sets up better after fully chilling.
- I was able to fill a pint mason jar with my jam.
Try this on vanilla ice cream, yogurt, or over pancakes.
Thanks to The Kitchn for this recipe.
Give it a try. It is so delicious!