Pin It! Tried and True Tuesday # 7
OK, maybe tartar sauce is not that exciting, but I like trying new things that bring a change to the ordinary. I’ve bought tartar sauce, maybe, twice in two decades. My Sweetheart likes it, but somehow, I never think about buying it. In the times ( 2X’s 😉 ) I have purchased it, it seems like it went bad before he could finish the bottle. So, with the plan to make salmon patties this week, I thought why not try a tartar sauce recipe and surprise him with something he loves. This tartar sauce from Living Nutrition was a winner! He did love it and instead of me squeezing lemon over my patties, I enjoyed the new taste too.
Here is what I did:
- Google what crème fraiche was because I had no clue!
- Used sour cream instead of crème fraiche. I used a non-dairy sour cream and increased the amount to 3 TBSP. The original recipe says you can use extra mayo instead of the crème fraiche.
- If I were you, why not try the crème fraiche? Even the name sounds delicious!
- Depending on whether you choose the crème fraiche or sour cream, you may have to play with the consistency in order for it not to be too runny.
- This recipe is so easy and takes only 5 minutes to prepare, but chilling it for 20- 30 minutes makes it even better.
- I had left overs and used it the next day.
As For the Salmon Patties…
Here is my Simple Recipe: Makes 4 – 3″ Patties in About 30 Minutes Start to Finish
- About 8 oz. Freshly Cooked Salmon – I grilled mine but, you can use leftover salmon from the night before. No canned!
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (I could have chopped mine smaller, but was in a bit of a hurry)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Bread Crumbs)
- 1 TBSP. dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- A dash of sea salt and cracked pepper
- Olive Oil
Flake your cooked salmon into a medium size bowl. Add your: chopped onions, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well using the back of a fork to crush the salmon into the other ingredients. You should end up with a mixture that sticks together nicely into patties. If too dry, add a bit of water. Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a skillet. Form mixture into patties just like you would hamburgers. Place in hot skillet of olive oil using medium heat. Cook approximately 3-5 minutes on each side until you achieve a nice golden brown.
Enjoy with Tartar Sauce!